Upcoming Broadway Shows
By Matthew Blank ASOF 07 Dec 2011
THE ROAD TO MECCA
- Theatre: American Airlines Theatre
- First Preview: December 16
- Opening: January 17, 2012
- Director: Gordon Edelstein
- Cast: Rosemary Harris, Jim Dale, Carla Gugino
- Here’s how Roundabout Theatre Company bills the Athol Fugard work: “Set in the region of South Africa known as the Karoo, The Road to Mecca tells the story of an elderly woman who has spent the years since her husband’s death transforming her home into an intricate and dazzling work of art. The reclusive Miss Helen (Rosemary Harris) has become depressed and appears increasingly unable to care for herself. Pastor Marius Byleveld, who embodies the village’s conservative values, is determined to get Miss Helen into an old-age home. Her friend Elsa (Carla Gugino), a young teacher from Cape Town who is deeply suspicious of the patriarchal traditions Byleveld represents, is just as determined that Miss Helen remain free.”
PORGY AND BESS
- Theatre: Richard Rodgers Theatre
- First Preview: December 17
- Opening: January 12, 2012
- Director: Diane Paulus
- Cast: Audra McDonald, Norm Lewis, David Alan Grier, Joshua Henry, Nikki Renee Daniels, Phillip Boykin, Bryonha Marie Parham, NaTasha Yvette Williams, Cedric Neal, J.D. Webster, Heather Hill, Phumzile Sojola, Nathaniel Stampley
- A new production of the classic musical comes to Broadway following a late summer run at American Repertory Theater in Massachusetts. Set in the fictional Catfish Row, SC, Porgy and Bess tells of the crippled beggar Porgy and his love for Bess. With music by George Gershwin, lyrics by his brother Ira and a book by DuBose Heyward, the work includes such songs as “Bess, You Is My Woman Now,” “I Loves You, Porgy,” “My Man’s Gone Now,” “There’s a Boat That’s Leavin’ Soon for New York,” “Summertime,” “I Got Plenty o’ Nothin” and “It Ain’t Necessarily So.”
- Theatre: Samuel J. Friedman Theatre
- First Preview: January 5, 2012
- Opening: January 26, 2012
- Director: Lynne Meadow
- Cast: Cynthia Nixon
- Margaret Edson’s Pulitzer Prize-winning play receives its Broadway premiere. Here’s how MTC bills the work: “Exquisitely written, affecting and often humorous, Wit follows a brilliant and exacting poetry professor (Nixon) as she undergoes experimental treatment for cancer. A scholar who devoted her life to academia, she must now face the irony and injustice of becoming the subject of research.”
DISNEY’S THE LION KING
Landmark Theater, Richmond Va Historical Theater
Feb 15th – March 11th, 2012
DISNEY’S THE LION KING
Landmark Theater, Feb 15th – March 11th, 2012
Experience the phenomenon. Richmond’s most eagerly awaited stage production ever will leap onto the Landmark Theater stage next season. Visually stunning, technically astounding and with a musical score like none other you’ve ever heard.
Giraffes strut, birds swoop, gazelles leap. The entire savannah comes to life and as the music soars, Pride Rock slowly emerges from the mist.
See the Tony Award-winning Broadway sensation that Newsweek calls “a landmark event in entertainment.” The New York Times says, “There is simply nothing else like it.”
Marvel at the breathtaking spectacle of animals brought to life by a cast of more than 40 actors. Wonder at the inspiration of award-winning director Julie Taymor, who created visual images for this show that you’ll remember forever.
Thrill to the pulsating rhythms of the African Pridelands and an unforgettable score including Elton John and Tim Rice’s Oscar-winning song “Can You Feel The Love Tonight” and “Circle of Life.”
Below from: http://eventful.com/
Friday, Feb 3 11:50p
Blue Note Jazz Club, New York
Mark your calendars and plan on attending AlphaGraphics’ Evolve with AG event taking place on January 26, 2012 between 4:30 and 6:30pm at their location, 720 W. Elliot Road in Tempe. Learn how integrating print and digital media will engage your audience. Increase your reach by leveraging online, mobile, print and marketing communications that excite your customers. All of this with food, beverages and a grand prize giveaway of a new Kindle Fire.
Like them on Facebook to participate in a puzzle contest in which one participant will win a new Kindle Fire.
Information: Eric Adams at firstname.lastname@example.org